Uniformed and Overseas Voting

Frequently Asked Questions about Uniformed and Overseas Voting

Listed below are commonly asked questions about Uniformed and Overseas Voting in Nevada. If you have additional questions please contact your county election office.

Q: Am I eligible to use the Nevada Effective Absentee System (EASE)?
Eligible users include, but are not limited to, individuals that are absent from their voting residence and are active duty military personnel, their spouses and dependents, as well as United States citizens residing (not traveling) outside of the U.S.
Important: UOCAVA voters must reaffirm their eligibility as a UOCAVA voter every election cycle (biennially). To reaffirm eligibility as a UOCAVA voter a Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) should be resubmitted to the local election office. If EASE is used to access your election materials, a FPCA is included in your election materials. Additionally, FPCAs that are submitted for a primary election also act as a request for subsequent federal elections during that election cycle, such as the general election.

Q: What information will I need to access EASE?
You will need to provide your name, Nevada residential address, mailing address (if any), driver’s license/identification card number, last four digits of your social security number, and email address.

Q: Who will be able to see my information?
A: Only your local elections office will be able to see your information. At no point will your identity, sensitive information, or ballot choices be available to anyone but your local elections office.

Q: Who should I contact if I have questions?
A: For questions related to your registration status, voter record, or any other elections-specific issue, please contact your local elections office. A list of email addresses and phone numbers can be found at http://www.nvsos.gov/index.aspx?page=1363.

Q: What is the deadline for registering to vote and receiving a ballot?
 The registration deadline for mail-in applications is May 14, 2016 (postmark) for the primary election and October 8, 2016 (postmark) for the general election. You can also register in person at your local elections office or online. The deadline for in-person or online registration is May 24, 2016 for the primary election and October 18, 2016 for the general election. You can also register by mail using the FPCA.

You may also register to vote as a UOCAVA voter until the 7th day before the date of election if you use the Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot (FWAB).

Military and overseas voters may apply to receive absentee ballots for all elections held in the year in which the request is made. Once you receive your ballot, return it to your county clerk as soon as possible. The county clerk must receive your ballot by 7 pm on Election Day. 

Q: What if I do not receive my ballot from my county clerk?
A: If you do not receive your absentee ballot, you may vote the FWAB. The FWAB is a back-up ballot that you can use if you do not receive your state absentee ballot. The deadline for submitting the FWAB is 7 pm on Election Day for already registered UOCAVA voters.

 UOCAVA stands for the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act. It was established in 1986 as a way to provide overseas citizens and military personnel with a way to register and to vote by absentee ballot in federal elections. The FPCA is the Federal Post Card Application. It is used to both register to vote and to request an overseas absentee ballot. The FWAB is the Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot. The FWAB is a back-up voting option that’s used in the event the voter does not receive a requested ballot.