Marriage Officiants


Authorizations to perform marriages are filed at the county level. The Secretary of State's Office maintains a list of marriage officiants in the State of Nevada who have been licensed and approved, or who have been temporarily licensed, by the state’s county clerks.

If you wish to acquire information on how to obtain a certificate to perform a marriage or verify a marriage officiant, please contact the County Clerk in the county where the officiant resides. For a complete County Clerks list, click here. You can also search an officiant by name, church affiliation or county using the Nevada Marriage Officiant Public Search tool. The search will return ONLY “Military” and “Permanent” officiants with an “ACTIVE” status. Please contact the County Clerk if you do not see an officiant here, need to verify an officiant, or you wish to obtain officiant authorization.

For those doing business as a sole proprietor marriage officiant, a Nevada State Business License is required.  If you are a marriage officiant contractor, receive a 1099 and/or do not receive a W-2 for performing marriage officiant duties, a state business license is required. To obtain a State Business License application click here. Or a State Business License may be obtained online at

Note: If you are an employee who receives a W-2 from a business entity for performing marriage officiant duties, or if you are certified to perform a single marriage, a separate State Business License is not required. If you already have a valid sole proprietor State Business License you will not need to obtain an additional State Business License.

Statutes governing marriage in the State of Nevada may be found in NRS Chapter 122.  Statutes and regulations pertaining to the State Business License may be found in NRS Chapter 76 and NAC Chapter 76.